Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pop Art Inspired Makeup!




By Heather Hanna

The weather is getting cooler, leaves are changing colors, and my favorite part, Bath & Body Works fall candles are burning in my house!! All of this means that Halloween is quickly approaching! And that means costumes...and to me, it means "How can I do my makeup so I look completely different?"

Well, I looked around Pinterest and "googled" some things.  I decided to try a Roy Lichtenstein inspired look.  I wanted to put my own twist on it, so I changed a couple of things. Lichtenstein's dots and lips were red, but I figured "hey, this is art so I'm going to do white dots and pink lips!" In the following paragraphs, I will teach you exactly how to recreate this look.

The key to creating the perfect canvas for this look is having the appearance of perfect skin. Priming and concealing help create the "airbrushed" look.

Prime your whole face. I used a pore refiner (Benefit Porefessional) and some anti-shine spray (Urban Decay De-Slick).

Apply foundation. I used a MAC 187 brush and Revlon Colorstay foundation in Ivory.

I concealed with MAC Pro Longwear concealer in NC 20. I set my whole face with MAC Set powder in Invisible* using a MAC 150 brush. Any translucent powder will work. Colored powders can look too cakey.

Next, I applied a little bronzer to my cheeks (Wet N' Wild Ticket to Brazil).  I contoured using Shadester* by MAC, but any matte bronzer you have will work. I used Rhubarb* by MAC blush. I love Rhubarb but your favorite bright pinkish blush will work perfectly.
Here's everything I used!! 

Next I defined and filled in my brows with a black liner pencil.  I used a twist up pencil by Cover Girl but I would recommend using a true pencil for ease of application. The important part here is to have to swoop shape at the end of your brows above your nose. I drew this on with pencil but defined the edges and exact shape with a MAC 210 and 209 brushes and my MAC Fluid Line eyeliner in Blacktrack (everyone should own this eyeliner, I love it!).

I outlined other features with the black liner pencil. Make sure the lines don't have jagged edges. Mine are far from perfect, but more perfect lines make this look appear more real. You can perfect the lines with concealer and small concealer brush. You can use the the areas I outlined on my face in the picture as a guide for your own.

For eyes, I drew a dramatic winged liner with the MAC Fluidline liner with the MAC 210 brush. I used my NYX jumbo pencil in Milk to line my water line and lower lash lines. I lined below that with black liner. I drew dramatic lashes on the top and bottom of my eye. Apply your most dramatic false lashes on the top. I used Ardell Demi Whispies. Demi Whispies aren't crazy dramatic, but they're the best I had on hand before making my next makeup run!

I prepped my lips with MAC Prep & Prime. I filled in my lips with NYX lip liner in Dolly Pink and covered my lips with MAC's Saint Germain lipstick. I used Ben Nye white body paint to draw a small rectangular on one side of my lower lip.

Finally, I took the NYX jumbo pencil in Milk and drew white dots all over my face and neck.

As you're working, don't worry if everything doesn't look perfect. Sometimes everything just comes together at the end.  And don't forget, practice makes perfect!


Lots of makeup, beauty and love,
Heather

Learn how to apply false lashes

*Indicates a MAC Pro shade. Pro shades aren't available at MAC counters or regular stores.  Pro shades can be purchased online, in MAC Pro stores, or by calling MAC to place your order.

No comments:

Post a Comment